Thursday, March 10, 2011

First Strike review

                For this blog entry, I’m going to be talking about the release of the new DLC (downloadable content) pack for the Call of duty Black Ops game, First Strike. In this pack, they gave the gamer four new online maps and one new zombie map.
                One map which they released is called Berlin Wall. This map is divided into one half and the other half as if it was the Americans vs. the Germans. Treyarch made that you could cross to the other side three ways, two of the ways are on each side of the map, and the other one is in the middle. They also made an area of the map that if you stand in it, some turrets will start shooting at you which will kill you. I thought this map was pretty good and I kill a certain amount of players in this map.
                Another map they released is called Discovery. This map doesn’t really have a current location/setting. But my guess is that it is sort of the setting of one of the missions you play in the campaign which you are Reznov (a Russian) and are playing in the year 1945, and the setting is similar to Discovery. In Discovery, Treyarch added a new detail which is that there are some bridges that you can blow up and the floor actually falls and breaks. I thought this was very realistic and it gives a certain taste to the map.
                Another map they released is called Stadium. This map is set in a hockey stadium except you can get on the ice. There is nothing cool about this map and is pretty much the same as the maps that were released when Black Ops came out. In my opinion, this map was horrible and you can die so much.
                The last online map they made is called Kowloon. This map is set in one of the missions of the campaign called Numbers. You fight against players on roof tops in what looks like a Chinese town. I didn’t like this map that much because it was very big and I get lost many times, so the other team always kills me. But one thing I liked that Treyarch put in was that you can use a zip line to get from one place to another very quickly. Although this is cool and effective, you have a greater chance of being shot. In my opinion, this map can have its good sides and its bad sides. I will have to keep on playing in it to get my full opinion about the map.
                The best part of this map pack is the new zombie map they put into the game. The map is called Ascension and is set in a soviet Russian space station. Treyarch added many new weapons and designs that made this zombie map so fun and enjoyable. One main thing they added was new weapons. They added a weapon called the Gersh Device which is a black hole that sucks in the zombies. I thought this was an awesome weapon as well as a hilarious one too. Just seeing the zombie walking backwards into the black hole is so funny. Another new weapon they added was the Matroushka Dolls which are like those dolls which you take half of its body out and another smaller one is inside and you keep on removing the dolls until you get to a tiny one. In the game, when you pop out one of the dolls, the player throws the dolls and the dolls will explode. Like there are several, there are several explosions. This weapon I didn’t not like because it isn’t good to kill zombies. One detail they added in this new map is something called landers. There is only one lander but you can use it from three different locations. When you use it, you go up in the air and then land in an area in which you started the game in. This saves you when you are crowded by zombies and there is no escape by foot. Another detail Treyarch added was color. When I say color, I mean that when you start the game, you start on a lander and land in a room (which is the same room in which you land when you use a lander). When you land, you see that everything is in black and white. When I saw videos of this on YouTube, I thought that persons TV had color problems. But if you turn on the power in the game, everything gets colorful. When I saw this, I thought it was something so cool and I never had thought about something like that. All these things combined made this zombie map so fun and cool.
                After reading this blog entry, I hope I encouraged people to buy the First Strike map pack and try out the new online maps and the new zombie map. I really recommend this DLC and I hope Treyarch will create more DLC packs with better online maps and better zombie maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment