Wednesday, April 27, 2011

PlayStation Network hacked!!

                For this blog entry, I’m going to be talking about the recent incident that happened to Sony to their PlayStation Network. What I mean is that there was an accident to the PlayStation Network and PS3 gamers cannot sign in which means gamers can’t play any game online.
                This horrible event happened on April 20 2011 at approximately 3:00 am in the morning. When gamers tried to sign in, it said “An error has occurred, you have been signed out of PlayStation Network”. When I woke up on the 21st, it showed that message and I kept on trying to sign in but it wouldn’t let me. First I thought that my internet was bad so I disconnected and reconnected it to make it a bit faster. Even after I did that it didn’t work so I decided to see what was going on. The first thing I did was that I went to the PlayStation website. There was nothing wrong so I tried to sign in into the PlayStation Network through there. There was when I found out what was going on, or so I thought. When I pressed sign in, it appeared a message saying that the PlayStation Network was undergoing maintenance. Now that I knew what was going on, I waited for several hours because maintenance just takes a couple hours. After waiting, I tried again and the same message appeared on the PS3 and on the website. Now there was something wrong because maintenance doesn’t take so long. I started to search through Google of what was going on and I found many sources that all said that the network was hacked. My reaction to this was amazed as well as sad. I was amazed because Sony is such a big company with very well built products and software and people were able to hack the PlayStation Network which is a huge network from Sony. The reason why I was sad and still am is because I haven’t been able to play online which makes my day very boring.
                After two days or so, Sony announced that they were hacked from an outside party which means it was several people joined together to hack the network. After they announced that, I tried to sign in through the PS3 again but instead of the error message, it showed that it was under maintenance. When I read this, I predicted that they got the software back but are checking if anything is damaged. Later, Sony posted another update message which was that they have the software back but are rebuilding it to prevent further damages or hackers. After everything announced, people are creating rumors or ideas of how the hackers were able to hack the network. One idea, which is the hardest one to understand if you don’t know much about computers, is that he hackers are sending small bits of information to the network and the network in return, has to send a bigger message than the one it received. So the hackers sent lots of information so the network in return had to send lots of information which are bigger than it received so the network crashed. The second idea they created, which is the most reasonable one is that a game called Portal 2 just came out and it can connect to a PC so possibly, the hackers sent a virus through the PC game of Portal 2, it goes into the PS3 game of Portal 2, which got into the PlayStation Network so it shut it down. All these al rumors and ideas but it isn’t confirmed how they hacked this massive network.
They haven’t announced when they are going to put the network back up and running, but it has been a week already that it has been down. Like I am a PS3 gamer, I have been waiting patiently for a long time and I hope Sony gets the network back up and running soon. I really want to play online games again.

No comments:

Post a Comment